About Me

My photo
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
Blog-Advisor -: Dhananjai Chopra(Course Coordinator,CMS,IPS,AU), Founding Blog-Manager -: Prateek Pathak....

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Is Media in India really Free ?







Yet again I have experienced that Media in India is not free. A few days back a correspondent from BBC Lucknow visited my department i.e. Centre of Media Studies, IPS, University of Allahabad.


I was called by my Course Coordinator Mr. Chopra and was informed that this gentleman was here to conduct a discussion on “Giving Telecast Rights to an organization of Kumbh Mela 2013…?”. I got an opportunity to be part of the discussion.
The discussion panel consisted of Course Coordinator of our department, one senior faculty member and I was one of the three students chosen for the same. The exciting part was that the discussion was supposed to be broadcasted on BBC Hindi radio service.
However we made a circle and mike would be rotated by Mr. Correspondent. We started by giving our introduction followed by a questionnaire which was first of all answered by Mr. Chopra, who explained how technology has became so common and to give the rights to one organization would not be accepted by all. Then the mike reached Mr. Yadav, our faculty member, and he explained how the previousmelas were economically backward but for this mela Central government has provided crores of money so no such measure is required.

It was the student’s turn now and my classmate explained how this mela is for all and allotting rights to one organization is not at all precise. Next was one of my pass out senior who rejected the question and started explaining the importance of the mela.

Finally the mike was towards me and I was the last one to speak. I was wondering what to say as lot was spoken about the glory of the fiesta. So I took a different road, and said that the Mela as an event is no less than the Olympics. While answering the question on giving telecast rights I stated that its not a marriage ceremony of a celebrity or star that such a measure should be employed. Moreover I said, When we have scandals like Coal Gate and crores of money is allotted by government pools into corruption. Then even if the telecast rights are given it will open more avenues for corruption.

After my statement Mr. Correspondent again switched to Mr. Chopra and inquired whether this measure would be accepted by Sadhus and Mr. Chopra straightaway said “No”. 
And here the discussion came to an end with sign-off by Mr. Correspondent.
Mr. Correspondent complimented us for having good recording.
After he left the department. I was complimented by my C.C for speaking good points.

It was in the evening and I switched to portal of BBC Hindi, somewhere exited to hear my voice on air and that too on the BBC.
But to my surprise my outlook was completely removed along with my introduction. This incidence banged the question in my mind…”Is media in India free?”
My voice spoke on corruption and I projected the scene from different angle, and the correspondents like these removed the entire portion of discussion, how can we say that Media is free….
However, After this episode I was not at all sad as one thing was eminent that – “I spoke so well that my voice was suppressed” and it shows that “Our Media is not free.” !    






Prateek Pathak 
Student
B.A in Media Studies
University of Allahabad

1 comment:

  1. What you say is entirely true, my friend! We as common citizens should awaken and STOP believing the media blindly. At the end of the day, the main agenda of the media is to increase their TRP and profits and that is the only TRUTH!
    They are NOT concerned about us in the least. Its sell, sell, sell news and its often MANIPULATED for the benefit of politicians or owners of the news channel. After all it’s a corporation and like any other corporation TARGETS have to be met.
    Media is hand-in-glove with the government, politicians, the super rich etc. They only show us what they want to show us, which is normally not the truth or just part of the truth! Bribing, gagging and selling news is common practise within the media. So it’s CONTROLLED NEWS in the name of Free Press.
    We common people are being manipulated left-right and centre. Please Awaken! Stop following the media blindly. You have a mind of your own, please use it rather than being sheep.

    ReplyDelete